History Overview/Przekrój Historyczny Parafii

The State of Connecticut, named after the river, which bisects it, and whose name has been derived from the word Quinatucquet, which means Besides the Long Tidal River in the language of the Pequots, i.e. its indigenous people, was in 1832 home to a Roman Catholic Diocese,which covered the entire territory of the state. At that time, there were 128 Catholics in the whole diocese. During the next four years this number grew to 350. It is not known how many of them were Catholics of Polish descent, However, we do know that the first Pole, who lived in New Britain, was Tomasz Ostrowski. We also know that soon after 1836, the number of immigrants arriving from Poland started increasing, and kept steadily growing in response to the plunder and devastation of Poland by her three conquerors: Germany, Austria, and Russia. The immigrants kept coming in search of freedom, shelter, and bread.

The refugees from the land on the Wisła River found what they were looking for, but they suffered from that malady, which has always preyed on the immigrants' hearts: the feeling of being rootless. It came as a result of being removed from their homeland, their relatives, their friends, and their Church. In defense against getting bogged down by the overwhelming homesickness, they started working together to form a community of the language, the faith, and the customs of their homeland.

Inadvertent meetings on the street, in a restaurant, a coffeehouse, or anywhere else, did not satisfy their needs. They yearned for a place which would be a surrogate for the country they had left, where the could meet, talk, worship in their native language, and, if just for a moment, feel like they used to in the land of their fathers.

From this yearning came the thoughts: Perhaps we should build a church? Establish a parish?Perhaps... - the questions kept coming: How? Who? How will we pay for it? When?

These ideas were as seeds that fell on fertile soil. They sprouted and turned dreams into reality.

An application had been submitted to the state authorities for permission to establish a new parish, named after the Polish prince St. Kazimierz, At the same time, the process of raising funds for construction of the new church was launched.

The application was approved on November 14, 1894, thus providing the foundation, upon which to establish the new parish. Bishop M. Tierney had appointed Fr. Tomasz Misicki, to guide the congregation. His guidance consisted primarily of listening to confessions on Sundays, and celebrating Mass at the Irish church of St. Mary's on Main St.

According to a Polish proverb, "Where an angel builds a church, the devil constructs a chapel". And so it was with the newly conceived project: the seeds of discord were soon planted. Disagreements erupted over the location of the new church. The more affluent members of the community wanted to see it located close to their properties, for their convenience. It appeared that the plan to build a new church might have to be abandoned. However this was interrupted through God's Providence. On September 10, 1895, Bishop M. Tierney installed Fr. Lucjan Bojnowski as the pastor of the new parish. Fr. Bojnowski was born in Poland on February 20, 1868, and was educated in the Untied States at SS Cyril and Methodius Seminary in Orchard Lake, Michigan. The young priest assumed his new duties with intense enthusiasm and zest, fired up by his youthful vigor. To counteract the menace of the conflict, he called the parishioners to a meeting, in which they decided to purchase a plot of land located on Orange St. 

Six months later he signed a contract for construction of the church building. The cost of the building was around $12,000.

In July 1896 Bishop M. Tierney performed the ceremony of the blessing of the cornerstone. This event continued with celebration of the sacraments of Baptism and First Holy Communion, which were received by an 18 years-old convert Maryann Gegendory. Fr. Bojnowski was the Godfather.

The construction progressed at a brisk pace. Less than three months after the ceremony of blessing of the cornerstone, the new church was consecrated.

The final cost of the construction was an unwelcome surprise. The original price tag was probably calculated too hastily. In the end it grew to $25,000. As with all seemingly insurmountable problems, the parish turned to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for help. Slowly, the financial adversities were overcome.

The small wooden church filled the void in the life of the Polonia but only for a short time. The parish kept growing. Room was becoming scarce since the church building would not stretch to accommodate the ever-growing membership. A bold new endeavor became inevitable.

During one of the parish meetings Fr. Bojnowski confided to the parish his desire to build a new and bigger stone church. Incredibly, his new notion was accepted.

The Parish purchased another plot of land located on Broad St. to the rear of the existing church. Soon the construction contract was signed for amount of approximately $50,000 - $60,000.

The construction of the new church started in the spring of 1897.

Soon a beautiful neo-Gothic stone church was presented to its contributors in all its splendor. To their great joy, it looked beautiful. It had two steeples 170ft high and two side chapels, which created the shape of the cross. It was 180ft long and 78ft wide; 114ft in the arms of the cross. It featured a central heating system, which was unusual for a church in those days. It had two levels, that is, it was divided into so called upper and lower church. In the upper church there were three naves separated by two rows of pillars, as well as five altars, a choir loft, and seating for 1300 worshipers. The lower church was furnished with an altar and accommodated approximately 600 people. The final cost of the new facility came to $150,000.

Question: What happened with the "old" church?

Its upper lever was converted to house a parochial school, which was established by Fr. Bojnowski, and run by the Sisters, Daughters of Mary. Until then, it was located at the lower level of the church in very cramped conditions. Later, when it was no longer used to support the school, it was converted to a meeting hall.

Although the upper church offered the school unquestionably better conditions, it was still not adequate for the constantly swelling ranks of the student population. There was a very clear need for a separate school facility. There was no other way - a decision to build a new school had to be made. On July 16, 1907, the parish decided to start construction of the new three-story brick building in spring of the following year.

Here are some interesting facts. The statistics from the first decade of twentieth century indicate how quickly the young parish was growing. During that time there were 939 marriages, averaging two per week, and 2795 baptisms, or about five every week.

These numbers led Fr. Bojnowski and the parishioners to an inescapable conclusion: due to the undeniable vitality of the parish, more work was necessary. More marriages would bring more baptisms, and in time, more funerals. They understood that a growing Polish parish needed not only a Polish school, but also a Polish cemetery.


Had Fr. Bojnowski exhausted his creative energy? Despite the expectations of many people, he had not. He continued his work by building an orphanage, a motherhouse, a convent, and a nursing home. He never rested. He passed away on July 29, 1960.

And then?

On January 26 of  that year, Fr. John Balasa was appointed to the position of the pastor of the Sacred Heart Parish. He as born in in Meriden, CT in 1902. Fr. Balasa tried following in the footsteps of his predecessor. A few months after he arrived at the parish, he built a new rectory, and five years later, a new convent. In 1970 he renovated the interior of the church and completed construction of a chapel at the cemetery. He continued to serve as a pastor until 1977, when he retired, He died on March 12, 1988.

The next pastor was Fr. Paul Wysocki; he was born in Torrington, CT in 1928. One of his first accomplishments was expansion of the parish property. He bought many old houses on nearby Gold St, and as far as Silver St. In 1980 he renovated the church, and nine years later he added an entrance for the handicapped and an elevator. In 1994 he replaced old stained glass windows. He died March 14, 2003.

Msgr. Daniel J. Plocharczyk, born on July 17, 1948 in New Britain, now serves as the pastor. Prior to this position, he served as Moderator of the Curia and Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Hartford and pastor at St. Joseph Cathedral in Hartford, CT. In less than 18 months since he assumed his position, he installed central air conditioning in both upper and lower church, as well as the rectory. The upper and lower churches were renovated and painted. The altar and side altars in upper & lower church had gold leafing done. New carpeting in church and new tiles in Presbiterium were installed. The  New church doors and the stairs to the church were replaced and the area between the church and the rectory was developed into a new plaza area. He died on April 12, 2024.

The church, convent, school and rectory were converted from oil to gas. All the cemetery roads were repaved; the cemetery chapel was renovated; a new altar was built on the Calvary scene in the middle of the cemetery; a columbarium was erected for burial of ashes and a new service garage was built. More land was purchased for additional cemetery plots.


W stanie Connecticut, biorącym nazwę od rzeki: Connecticut River, zwanej przez zamieszkujących w nim India, Pequot: "Quinatucquet", co w języku angielskim znaczy: Beside Long tidal river - wzdłuż długiej przypływowo-odpływowej rzeki, a jednocześnie w diecezji, obszarowo obejmującej cały stan, zamieszkiwało do 1832 w roku 128 katolików. Cztery lata później, to jest w 1836 roku, liczba ta wzrosła do 350 osób. Ilu w tej liczbie było katolików polskiego pochodzenia nie wiadomo. Wiadomo natomiast, że pierwszym Polakiem, mieszkającym w New Britain był Tomasz Ostrowski, i że w niedługim czasie po nim - na skutek grabieżczej polityki w Polsce, uprawianej przez trzech jej zaborców: Niemcy, Austrię i Rosję - zaczęło ich napływać więcej, w poszukiwaniu wolności i chleba.

Uchodźcy z kraju nad Wisłą znajdowali tu, czego szukali, ale do pełnego szczęścia brakowało im tego, co Amerykanie zwią: Home sweet home - to znaczy ojczyzny, domu ojców, rodziny, przyjaciół i kościoła. Chcąc się bronić przed ugrzęźnięciem w tęsknocie, poczęli się szukać i zakłądać wspólnotę języka, wiary i obyczjów.

Przypadkowe spotkania na ulicy, w restauracji czy w innych miejscach, nie zaspakajały ich. Potrzebowali miejsca, dającego im namiastkę ojczyzny, w którym mogliby się spotkać, rozmawiać, modlić i choć przez chwilę, odetchnąć atmosferą podobną tej, jaką żyli na ziemi ojców.

Zrodziła się więc w nich mysl: Może by kościół?... Może by parafię?... Może by... Tak, ale jak?... Kto?... Za co?... Kiedy?...

Jednak rzucona myśł padła na żyzną ziemię, zaczęła kiełkować i zamieniać marzenia w rzeczywistość.

W 1894 roku, wniesiono prośbę do Urzędu Stanu o zarejestrowanie parafii, pod wezwaniem: Świętego Kazimierza, królewicza Polski i jednocześnie rozpoczęto zbiórkę pieniędzy na budowę kościoła.

Zarejestrowanie parafii, 14 listopada 1894 roku, dało jej początek. Opiekę nad nieuchwytną jeszcze dla oczu parafią, powierzył biskup M. Tierney, księdzu dr Tomaszowi Misickiemu. Opieka ta polegała na słuchaniu spowiedzi i odprawianiu Mszy Św. w irlandzkim kościele Najświętszej Maryi Panny, przy ulicy Main.

Zaczęło się coś dziać.

Ale jak mówi przysłowie Polskie - Gdzie Anioł buduje kościół, tam diabeł kaplicę", zaczęto targować się o jego lokalizację. Co ważniejsi w słowach i w dolarach, domagali się usytuowania go blisko swoich posiadłości, aby było "wygodnie...". Bywały chwile, iż zdawało się, że nastąpi poronienie ledwie poczętego płodu... i wtedy, zadziałała Opatrzność Boża. Dnia 10 września 1895 roku, biskup M. Tierney, mianował proboszczem parafii księdza Lucjana Bojnowskiego, urodzonego w Polsce, dnia 20 lutego 1868 roku, a wykształconego w seminarium SS Cyryla i Metodego w Orchard Lake, w Michigan. Ks. ten, widząc, co się dzieje, zawołał zebranie parafian i po dyskucji z nami przystąpił do pracy z całą swoją młodzieńczą werwą. W niedługim czasie kupił plac pod budowę kościoła przy ulic Orange. Kilka miesięcy później zawarł kontrakt na jego budowę, na sumę $12,000.

W lipcu, 1896 roku odbyło się poświęcenie kamienia węgielnego, uświetnione przyjęciem chrztu i pierwszej komunii świętej, przez konwertytkę, osiemnastoletnią protestantkę, Mariannę Gegendory, której ojcem chrzestnym był gospodarz parafii, ks. Bojnowski.

Budowa postępowała nadzwyczaj szybko. Niecałe trzy miesiące po poświęceniu kamienia węgielnego, odbyła się jego konsekracja.

Przykrym zaskoczeniem okazały się tylko koszty budowy. Pierwotna kwota - może skalkulowana trochę pospiesznie - urosła do $25,000. Ale jak we wszystkich dotychczasowych trudnościach - zwrócono się do Najświętszego Serca Juzusa z prośbą o pomoc i powoli zaczęto pokonywać trudności finansowe.

Próżnię w życiu Polonii wypełnił własny kościółek, ale niestety, nie na długo. Ludzi przybywało, a kościółka rozciągnąć się nie dało. Trzeba było radzić...

Pewnego dnia, ks. Bójnowski, z bijącym sercem, zwierzył się parafianom o chęci budowy nowego, większego, murowanego kościoła i wbrew oczekiwaniom jego "chęć" została przyklaśnięta.

Zakupiono plac z tyłu obecnego kościółka, obok ulicy Broad i nie czekając długo, podpisano umowę na jego budowę, na sumę około $50,000 - $60,000.

Następnego roku, wiosną, przystąpiono do budowy.

W niedługim czasie nowy, piękny, murowany, neogotycki kościół, zaprezentował się swoim ofiarodawcom w całej okazałości, powodując ogromną radość.

Wyglądał wspaniale! - Dwie wieże pnące się w górę na 170 stóp i dwie kaplice boczne, nadające mu kształt krzyża; długi 180 stóp, szeroki 78 - w ramionach krzyża 114 stóp. Posiada, rzadko w tych czasach spotykane w kościołach, centralne ogrzewanie. Jest dwupoziomowy, stanowiący tak zwany górny i dolny kościół. W górnym - trzy nawy podzielone dwoma rzędami filarów, 5 ołtarzy, chór i ławki dla 1300 wiernych; w dolnym - ołtarz i ławki mogące pomieścić około 600 ludzi. Mówiono: Warto było wydać tyle pieniędzy ($150,000), to znaczy więcej niż drugie tyle szacowanej kwoty).

Pytanie: Co się stało ze "starym" kościólkiem?

Górną część przerobiono na szkołę parafialną, założoną przez ks. Bójnowkiego, a prowadzoną przez siostry zakonne, Córki Najświętszej Maryi Panny, a dolną - dotychczasową jej siedzibę, zamieniono na salę zebran.

Choć szkoła w górnym kościele znalazła nieporównywalnie lepsze warunki, to jednak nie odpowiadały one wymogom, jakie dyktowała ciągle zwiększająca się liczba uczniów. Szkoła potrzebowała budynku z prawdziwego zdarzenia. Nie było rady! - Trzeba było przedsięwziąć budowę nowej.

Dnia 16 lipca 1907 roku, zarząd parafii, podjął decyzję o budowie dwupiętrowej, murowanej szkoły w następnym roku, na wiosnę.

Należy nadmienić, że parafia rosła zaskakująco szybko. Świadczą o tym dane z pierwszego dziesięciolecia dwudziestego wieku: 939 ślubów, czyli około dwa na tydzień i 2795 chrztów, czyli około 5 na tydzień.

Liczby te, dając niekłamany obraz żywotności parafii, dopomniały się dalszego działania. Skoro odbywa się w niej coraz więcej ślubów, skoro udziela się chrztu coraz większej liczbie noworodków, to znaczy, że będzie także coraz więcej pogrzebów; a skoro jest polski kościół, skoro jest polska szkoła, to znaczy, że powinien być także polski cmentarz. W 1912 roku, zakupiono 200 akrów ziemi na Osgood Hill pod przyszły cmentarz, tego samego imienia, co parafia.

Chcąc nie chcąc nasuwa się pytanie, czy ks. L. Bójnowski nie miał już dość tej pracy? Wbrew spodziewaniu - nie. Był niespożyty!...Porwał się jeszcze na budowę sierocińca, klasztoru i domu starców, nie oszczedzając się do końca. Przerwał ją dopiero wówczas, gdy wypełnił się jego czas i Bóg powołal go do siebie. Odszedł dnia 29 lipca 1960 roku.

A potem?...

Dnia 26 stycznia tego samego roku, biskup powołał na jego miejsce księdza Balasę, urodzonego w Meriden, CT w 1902 roku. Ks. Balasa, próbował iść śladami swojego poprzednika. Kilka miesięcy po objęciu parafii, zbudował nową plebanię, a 5 lat później nowy klasztor dla sióstr. W 1970 roku, odnowił wnętrze kościoła i wzniósł kaplicę na cmentarzu. Stanowisko proboszcza piastował do roku 1977, to znaczy do chwili pójścia na emeryturę. Zmarł dnia 12 marca 1988 roku.

Potem proboszczem został ks. Paweł Wysocki, urodzony w Torrington, CT, w 1929 roku.

Jedną z pierwszych jego myśli było powiększenie placu parafialnego. W tym celu wykupywał w pobliżu, po niezbyt wysokiej cenie, stare domy.

W 1980 roku, dokonał renowacji kościoła, a 9 lat później zbudował wejście do kościoła dla ludzi niepełnosprawnych oraz windę. Nieco później, bo w 1994 roku wymienił stare, sięgające początków kościoła, witraże. Zmarł w 2003 roku.

Obecnie - począwszy od maja 2003 roku, proboszczem parafii jest Ks. Prałat Daniel J. Plocharczyk, były rozjemca w Kurii, kanclerz archidjecezji oraz proboszcz Kościoła katedralengo w Hartford, urodzony w New Britain, dnia 17 lipca 1948 roku.

W niespełna półtora roku od chwili objęcia parafii, zainstalował centralną klimatyzację w górnym i dolnym kościele oraz na plebanii.

Renowacja dolnego kościoła -ołtarza- pomalowanie i pozłocenie. Renowacja górnego kościoła -głównego ołtarza - wyczyszczenie i pozłacanie, jak również bocznych ołtarzy. Wymienione zostały karpety i położono płytki w prezbiterjum. Nowe drzwi kościoła i schody do kościoła zostały  wymienione i obszar pomiędzy kościołem i plebanią został zaprojektowany.

Kościół, klasztor, szkoła i plebania miały zmieniony system grzewczy  z oleju na gaz. Wszystkie drogi cmentarza zostały odnowione; kaplica cmentarna została odnowiona, nowy ołtarz został zbudowany na scenie Kalwarii w środku cmentarza, kolumbarium wzniesiono dla pochówku prochów i nowy garaż  został zbudowany. Więcej ziemi zakupiono pod dodatkowe działki na cmentarzu.